?

Log in

LiveJournal for Chris and James.

View:User Info.
View:Friends.
View:Calendar.
View:Memories.
You're looking at the latest 20 entries. Missed some entries? Then simply jump back 20 entries.

Thursday, July 1st, 2004

Subject:Veleus' Turn - Waited Too Long
Time:1:37 am.
    Veleus nodded, as he watched them pass. They seemed to be ridiculously obsessed with their appearance. How could they ever hope to-

    Just then, the child, chasing after a butterfly, stumbled through the thinnest part of the bush, and into the meadow. Veleus cursed in elvish and scrambled after her, knowing for certain that the men would notice her...
Comments: Add Your Own.

Tuesday, September 9th, 2003

Subject:GM's Response -- Who Are They... and Is that Ring-Around-the-Collar?
Time:9:10 pm.
    Jan pondered for a moment, and then nodded as the two stragglers in Veleus' party moved close to the others.
    "Almost doubtlessly Fourga's men," he whispered, watching the group move past where the party hid. "Though these seem almost too foppish to be believed... I find it almost impossible to believe that such as they were entrusted with a serious mission at all..."
Comments: Add Your Own.

Friday, September 5th, 2003

Subject:Veleus' Turn - Watching and waiting
Time:11:32 pm.
Veleus turned to view Jan's reaction to what they were both no doubt seeing. His expression might reveal if he knew anything about these men's odd behaviour - if it were familiar, or typical of the Beast's handiwork... He glanced around to Ashe and Cinder, and was relieved to see that they were in control of themselves, then returned his gaze to the unit of soldiers, waiting to see if they followed them into the bush or continued past...
Comments: Add Your Own.

Monday, April 14th, 2003

Subject:GM's Response... 'Missed Me By That Much'
Time:8:27 am.
    Veleus' decision was almost perfectly timed. Only moments after he had led his companions into cover, another group broke from the trees, moving into the clearing.
    The assembled figured numbered five in all. Each one was dressed in leathers and sword, their leader in chainmail. The armour of each seemed immaculate, and the elf's sharp eyes could make out the unconcious, compulsive flicking away of dust, rubbing away of stains that each one evinced. Though it would take a spell to be sure, Veleus would swear that he scented magic about the behaviour... most likely a geas. These five may well have been cursed to take a fastidious pride in their appearance; and in a forest, this was a cruel curse indeed...

    "Weren't you keeping watch?" growled the one in chainmail, glowering to his companion, who looked both fatigued and sheepish.
    "I was, but..."
    "Yes? Yes, speak up!"
    "...but there was a spot on my greave and I just couldn't get it out..."
Comments: Add Your Own.

Sunday, February 16th, 2003

Subject:Veleus' Turn - Who watches the watchers?
Time:11:56 am.
Almost to himself, Veleus murmured, "In the wild, one is always watched." But even before he said the words, he began taking note of the signs all around. There was a general sparsity of bird noises, and the usual sounds of the wood on either side were also stilled. As if to confirm his suspicion, as he watched Cinder and Ashe romping in the meadow before him, the dog paused, cocking one ear inquisitively...

Whistling a soft call, he attracted the dog's attention, and gestured to the woods to his left. The trees were closer, and thinner, than the other side, which made them both easier to get to quickly, and more likely that they held no danger. Remaining in the open, he saw with perfect hindsight, had been foolish.

Without waiting to see if the dog comprehended, Veleus turned. "Come," he breathed to Jan,but the priest had already heard. As they walked toward the thin screen of trees, Veleus tried to hyper-extend his elvish senses, hoping to get a better hold on the ominous feeling that plagued the expedition...
Comments: Add Your Own.

Sunday, December 8th, 2002

Subject:GM's Response -- Let's Jump Some Time.
Time:8:06 pm.
    The Sage accepts the offer, putting them to work... though he gives them furlough in his house.

Time passes...



    The next day, the sage sees them off. He packs them several sacks of jerked beef, honeyed cakes and dried fruits. He also adds several bones from his soup stock for the dog. And soon enough the group is trudging on its way.

    An hour or two later, they find themselves on a meadow. In the distance, they can see farmland. Perhaps even warm hospitality...

    "I have the strangest feeling," murmurs Jan, as they cross. "I feel as though we're being watched."
Comments: Add Your Own.

Saturday, November 30th, 2002

Subject:Veleus' Turn - Thataway!
Time:12:56 am.
    Veleus nods, absorbing the information. Then he thanks the Sage for his hospitality. Turning to Jan, he says, "Well, do you think we should start now, or first thing in the morning?"
    Jan says without hesitation, "First thing. Always first thing. A warm bed never goes amiss."
    A smile issues from Veleus, as he turns to the sage. "May we impose upon your hospitality for the evening? If you wish, we could sleep outside. And, perhaps there are tasks that you need assistance with...?"
    Before the sage can answer, Veleus glances at Cinder and Ashe, both of whom are trying to catch Cinder's tail. "Although, some of us would be of more assistance than others..."
Comments: Add Your Own.

Monday, November 18th, 2002

Subject:GM's Response -- Go North, Young Elf
Time:7:37 pm.
    The seer regarded Veleus for several moments, looking sympathetic. Finally, he broke the silence, having come to a decision.
    "You have put your trust in me, and I find that humble. Very well then. Head north, Veleus. Head north until the time comes to veer west. You will know it when you see it. And remember one thing: your journey will end where it had begun."
Comments: Add Your Own.

Friday, November 15th, 2002

Subject:Veleus' Turn - Is this your final answer?
Time:9:03 pm.
Veleus, confused by the seer's response, was sorting through his mind when the prompt for the third question came. He had been so prepared ... but now, at this moment of truth, he was drawing a blank. He distracted me... probably on purpose... the thought flickered through his mind, before he banished it as immature, selfish and innacurate.

He glanced to his companions, for some sort of guidance, to no avail. Ashe was staring into the fire beneath the seer's teakettle, watching the embers glowing, while Cinder was lapping up water from a bowl the seer had happened to leave on the floor nearby. And Jan was apparently captivated by the embroidery that went into a wall-hanging the seer used as a blind for the window.

Turning back to the seer and acting entirely on impulse, Veleus blurted, "What do we do now?"
Comments: Add Your Own.

Friday, October 25th, 2002

Subject:GM's Response - Sagely Nodding
Time:9:34 am.
    The sage nodded. "I see. Though recall, word and heart are not always united. What you seek you may lose; what you lose you may find. You have a third question. Ask away."
Comments: Add Your Own.

Monday, October 14th, 2002

Subject:Veleus' Turn - Excuse me?
Time:5:01 pm.
Veleus blurts out, "My loss? What - " Then he pauses, trying to sort out what the seer has just said.

"No," Veleus says emphatically, after the sense of being overwhelmed leaves him. "I would not like that. I wish for this business to be over and done with. I was on a different mission before it arose... one of a personal matter."
Comments: Add Your Own.

Friday, October 11th, 2002

Subject:GM's Response -- Number Two: Electric Boogaloo
Time:7:13 pm.
    The Sage looked troubled at Veleus' question. He leaned forward, shaking his head slightly. "Would you like that, sir elf? Would you like to parade through the land, holding aloft the magic sword, girded in polished armour of finest steel and silver, hailed by peasants with banners? No, you have gathered all things but one which are essential. All you lack is the loss."
Comments: Read 1 orAdd Your Own.

Subject:Veleus' Turn - Number Two...
Time:12:25 am.
Veleus turns his head toward the fire, contemplating. Humility is a threat to Pride... Am I humble? Veleus thought about his own situation for a moment. Here he was, taking a break from his quest to locate his loved one, that he might go off and save the world... didn't sound very humble. How long can these others act as my shield against Pride, when all they do is contrast my lack of humility? Veleus pushed that thought aside, for the moment. He had already decided on the question he intended to ask next.

Turning back toward the seer, he asked his second question. "What other allies or powers must we gather, in order to defeat that which we face?"
Comments: Add Your Own.

Saturday, October 5th, 2002

Subject:GM's Response -- Alladin, Here is Your First Wi--Question
Time:11:16 pm.
    The seer steepled his fingers, considering the answer to the question. "Yes," he replied. "I can."
    Several moments passed, and Veleus was worried that the seer had decided upon a most literal answer. But he continued, clearing his throat. "The smallest..." He pointed to the girl. "The least. The most humble."
    He pointed to the man whom Veleus had saved from an ignoble death. "The blasted. The humbled. The fallen."
    He finally reached down to pat the dog's head. "The small companion. Asking nothing but the occasional scratch behind the ear. Unassuming. Humble."
    He finally leaned back. "And you face Pride. Do you see the connection now?"
Comments: Read 1 orAdd Your Own.

Wednesday, September 4th, 2002

Subject:Veleus' Turn - Can I have a recount?
Time:12:04 am.
Three questions... Veleus pondered the sage's words, while fighting off the demon that fought to ask that which was on his heart. Why did Aldrana leave me? Did she ever truly love me? Will I ever find her again? But no. If there indeed was a godly menace threatening the world, he had no right to waste this chance with selfish, petty queries.

But what to ask?

Unless the question was crucial, the answer should not be absolute. Too little information would be gained that way.
If he foolishly asked 'is there really a threat?', a 'yes' would only confirm the peril he already meant to fight, and use up one of his questions. On the other hand, a 'no' would free you to ask about Aldrana...

Veleus glanced at his companions. Could he trust Jan? No, this he would learn through experience and time, not by pestering a seer. He levelled his gaze upon Cinder and Ashe. They alone provoked numerous questions, expecially regarding the incident with the snakes...

I must assume that the events that have transpired are related, and not coincidences, Veleus thought. Mentally crossing his fingers, he decided to risk a question, in hopes that the answers he gleaned would give his further queries some direction.

"Being a seer, I assume you know what has transpired in the last few days. The girl, and her dog companion - I feel they must somehow be connected with this entity that Jan summoned. Can you tell me in what way?"
Comments: Add Your Own.

Thursday, August 29th, 2002

Subject:GM's Response - Fair Use Sage
Time:7:53 am.
    The others seemed to have nothing to add, though the sage was not yet finished with them. He walked for his hut, motioning for the rest to follow. Once inside, a strong and bitter herb tea was offered all around.
    "I know your place in things," the sage said, after he had performed his function as host, "though no one truly knows the proper place of anything, in the end. Your lateness proved that; even if I foresaw you here earlier, you weren't. You were here now. The future exists in all people and in all things... it's not given to any one of us to see.
    "And there, my good elf, is where the rub lies. You and your companions are all people of destiny, and that's all well and good in legend. But this is not legend until it's over with and you're all tucked in your beds, thinking about how close your calls were. You have a destiny ahead of you, but it's hardly one that's certain.
    "And thus, anything I tell you is subject to the eddies of the future. Hardly makes being a seer and a sage worthwhile, some days. But I can offer you advice... and I can offer you the answers to any three questions you choose to ask."
Comments: Add Your Own.

Saturday, August 17th, 2002

Subject:Veleus' Turn - What now?
Time:10:00 pm.
Veleus tried not to display his irritation, since the sage already seemed annoyed with them - him in particular. At a loss, he glanced around at his companions.


(perhaps you should lead by the nose for awhile. You pretty much know what Veleus would say at this point...)
Comments: Add Your Own.

Friday, July 19th, 2002

Subject:GM's Response - Fizz fizz
Time:1:49 pm.
    "You might well have done! Everyone keeps misplacing things in this day and age. Keys, days..." He looked up at Veleus, sharply. "Gods..."
Comments: Add Your Own.

Friday, June 28th, 2002

Subject:Veleus' Turn - If it's Tuesday, we must be in Seersville..
Time:7:12 pm.
Veleus blinked, somewhat taken aback. He had not expected that they were expected. He also had not expected to be treated so brusquely. "We must have been delayed, sir seer" he said, trying to keep from sounding too idiotic. "Unless, we've mislaid a day, somewhere..."
Comments: Add Your Own.

Tuesday, June 25th, 2002

Subject:GM's Response - Chop Chop!
Time:2:46 pm.
    The man slowly set down his axe, testing its edge against a leaf to make sure he hadn't dulled it overly during his chop. He turned and walked towards the group, appraising each companion before he reached where they waited.
    "You've certainly taken your own damned sweet time getting here!" he bellowed, voice like a windstorm and twice as powerful. "The signs all pointed towards you arriving yesterday. What do you have to say for yourselves?"
Comments: Add Your Own.

LiveJournal for Chris and James.

View:User Info.
View:Friends.
View:Calendar.
View:Memories.
You're looking at the latest 20 entries. Missed some entries? Then simply jump back 20 entries.